Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The iPhone App

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself and last week I had a moment when all I could do was giggle and shake my head at the way my mind works.

What you may not know about me is that I was an athlete in my younger days.  As a child, I loved the feeling of flying though the air with every good intention of landing on one skate with my arms gracefully stretched out, just like my figure skating heroines.  The fact that I, more often than not, perfected my imitation of a Zamboni as I slid across the ice after a spectacular wipe out, did nothing to diminish the pure joy of flying around the ice and practicing my jumps.

Somewhere along the way as the years passed and responsibilities increased, I lost touch with that athlete and over time slipped into a sedentary life style.  That said, every once in a while, “Kathy the Athlete” pops back into my world with stunning randomness and unpredictability, and guess who just happened to show up two weeks ago?

My church supports a local environmental stewardship organization which is holding their annual fundraising run at the end of September.  Two weeks ago our priest announced that our parish should submit a team and generate some support for this event.  With that proclamation, “The Holy Terrors” was conceived and how could a girl resist being on a team with a name like that?  If I’m being completely honest, also in the back of my mind is the fact that I named running 5km as one of my goals for 2013 and I’ve made it all the way to September (quite nicely, thank you very much!) by completely ignoring that goal made way back in January.  The Holy Terrors became my chance to get started.

One of the challenges that I face when “Kathy the Athlete” pops back into my world is that my brain still thinks of me as “Kathy the Athlete”.  The point of contention with this is that my brain and my body function on two completely different planes of reality.  I haven’t run in years.  I haven’t done much of anything in years.  No problem, right?

Week one goes by and nothing happens beyond a fleeting thought that I really need to start training.  Week two starts off with a lovely 6km stroll along the Chilliwack River; absolute misery!  My body immediately remembers why I don’t usually get beyond the first attempt or two at re-introducing physical activity into my life and I find myself looking around every bend on the trail wondering, “Are we there yet?”  This is going to be an absolute disaster.

Last summer I heard about the interval training program, “Couch to 5k”.  After a day or two of “Research C25K” lingering on my To Do list, I sourced out the program online.  “Ooooh and what is this?  A convenient app for my iPhone that will tell me when to jog and when to walk?  Hello!”

Ladies and gentlemen, an iPhone app monster has been born.

What health practitioners and my own personal knowledge about the fundamentals of a balanced, healthy life style couldn’t do, a simple little $1.99 iPhone app has.  You see, my mind absolutely cannot wait to have this application tell it how long and how far my body has travelled.  The joy of seeing my total mileage at the end of the session is more powerful than the discomfort of hauling this “sleek” little frame of mine around the neighbourhood.

Week three has started with me wrangling two different friends into a walk and a hike.  Oh and did I mention that I just happened to log our excursion and at it’s conclusion, babbled on at length about the number of miles we just walked, how long it took us and what our time per mile was?  All was well in my small, little world until one of my very dear friends asked, “How far did we just walk in kilometers?”


Never mind, Kathy.  I’m sure that there is an iPhone app for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment